Sunday, March 15, 2009

'Hip' kid in the making...


Every day I get emails and posts on the support group I started from people (mostly moms) who are just beginning their 'hip' journey with their child. They all have that underlying tone of fear of the unknown and usually, disbelief.

Hip dysplasia takes a lot of people by surprise. It even took us by surprise and I was diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia at 1 year of age. Emma, my daughter (and BabyHipWear inspiration) was a prime candidate for hip dysplasia and for reasons I have now had to come to peace with, went undiagnosed until 3.5 months. If I was truly shocked, I can only imagine the feelings of parents who have never even HEARD of this affliction.

One of the goals of BabyHipWear is to educate and bring awareness to hip dysplasia. Yes, we provide a basic need for your child, clothing, but at the end of the day, by us all becoming more aware, and sharing our stories, we can help early detection in other children by spreading the word anyway we can. Be it blogs, word of mouth, or just sharing your experience with a neighbor, education will come if you are a champion for it.

Feel free to comment and share your story anytime on this blog or at the support groups linked to this blog. Continued healing...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers